January 22, 2014

Ever Wanted to Live in a Video Game?


Because I’m sure no one’s ever asked that question.  Except for, you know, thousands of people prior to this post.  And I’m pretty sure that’s been the premise of several dozen TV show episodes, movies, and likely a few video games, paradoxical as that sounds. 

In the interest of preparing new stuff for Cross-Up -- including a post this Friday that you’ll never see coming, whoa ho! -- there happened to be a promo for a what’s-old-is-new-again show, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?  The central question?  Pretty much the same as this post’s title.  Apparently, in the context of that show everything takes place in some kind of virtual reality, which would probably explain why the game/show keeps finding ways to let Carmen escape danger unscathed -- no Carmen = no show. 

Hmmm.  Villains carrying a story.  That could make for a good post one day.  But let’s focus on this one for now.



Whatever the case, the promo’s question got me thinking.  And with video games being as vital to me as one of my lungs, I came up with an immediate answer: no, of course I wouldn’t.  Setting aside the fact that the real world offers up plenty of places to explore and people to meet, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I go, “Yep!  I’d sure want to go into that super-lethal, probably-about-to-face-doomsday world!”  I mean, maybe I’d go if I could just be an out-of-the-way NPC, but anything else?  Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh…maybe someplace pleasant like Mario Sunshine’s Delfino Isle, or pretty much anywhere in Kirby’s Epic Yarn.

Probably not Zelda, though.  For obvious reasons.  (NOTE: Picture NSFYS -- Not Safe for your Soul)

But that’s enough out of me.  Let’s open the floor for debate.  So, in a scenario where you, with your current physical ability and skill set, were to warp inside of a game and stay there until completing some arbitrary task (as these things tend to go), would you ever want to live in the world of a video game?  If yes, why, and which game world?  If no, why not?


Let’s get this experiment going, shall we?  Ready?  Set?  Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment