June 7, 2014

Introducing: The Cross-Up Subreddit!


A new warrior has entered the ring!  Well, relatively speaking.  There’s not exactly a ring, per se, but it has entered the virtual space.  Also I couldn’t resist the chance to make a Street Fighter reference in honor of the Ultra update going live this week.  Man, I was like one of the top 1700 T. Hawk players online.  Now I’ve gotta start all over again amidst the Akumas and Cammies and --

I feel like this post has gotten away from me.  Let’s get back on track.


I’d imagine that this is obvious by now, but I’ll go ahead and confirm it for anyone who suspects otherwise: writing up posts for Cross-Up is “the easy part” (unless I have to talk about really bad stuff like Family Guy).  The hard part is…well, I always dread having to scour wikis for relevant images, and try and put them in the appropriate order.  And getting art ready is even harder, which would explain any number of delays.  And then there’s making videos, and that’s a whole can of worms in its own right.

But one of the other hard things is -- as you’d expect -- actually getting people to come to Cross-Up and read what I’ve put up. Seriously, you guys don’t know how much it means to me to get even ONE comment on ONE post…and by the same token, I can’t help but go “Hrrrrrrrrrrrngharrrrrrrrrrgh!” when a post doesn’t get a comment.  (Which seems more likely to happen when I make a positive post -- as if the internet wants NO reprieve from some cult of negativity -- but whatever.)  So in an effort to remedy that, as well as to deliver the promise of a site that’s actually got some discussions instead of forcing people to read tl;dr-ready rambles, I think it’s time for a little aggressive play.



Yes, that’s right.  I’ve decided to start going in strong with Reddit, and see if I can use that to bring in some fresh blood.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful that those who do comment -- regulars or otherwise -- take time out to leave their thoughts.  But I’m not satisfied.  I don’t want this place to stagnate, and as the Web Master (not to be confused with Robot Master), it’s my duty to make sure this site reaches its full potential -- and the best way to do that is to bring in some new faces. 

I’ve actually seen some success -- however randomly/harmfully -- with Reddit before.  While it didn’t necessarily bring comments to the blog, it brought comments to the places around the blog, i.e. the Reddit link and related areas.  And if discussions are happening elsewhere, then I’m more than satisfied.  It’s just a sign that that’s where I need to be, and where Ic an put effort.  So that’s what I hope to do with this subreddit. 

And now I have to figure out how to keep said subreddit alive.  And by extension, figure out how to make it look good.  Let’s see how well/quickly I can learn some basic CSS.  Gotta get the color scheme all set up, if nothing else.


Now, normally this would be the point where most people would close things out, but seeing as how this post is about 3500 words below my par, I think I should go a little bit further.  See, I know even at the outset that this thing isn’t going to work out if I don’t get support.  I’ll do what I can, but there’s only so much I can do on my own (especially with Reddit’s spoken and unspoken rules).  And that’s exactly why I want to make good on certain promises.  Or to put it a different way, I want to do my best to help others, because that in turn will help me.

There’s already a link back here on the subreddit’s sidebar.  And that’s cool, I guess.  But I want to fill that with more links.  And I want others to feel free to toss comments and topics up there on the page whenever something comes to mind.  Or if not that, then I want to at least direct people to where the cool stuff is nestled across the net.  So here’s what I’m going to do: I’m not just going to make the announcement of that subreddit, but I’m going to give anyone who wants a slice to grasp it whenever they’ve got that hunger.  That drive.


So, do you want in?  Then it’s simple.  Go to Reddit and make yourself a handy-dandy username (it takes even less time than most), and you’re free to use that space as you see fit.  Wait -- what’s that?  Don’t feel like using Reddit?  That’s fine.  There’s another option: anyone who wants their blog -- blog, or site, or DeviantArt page, or fanfic repository, or anything -- listed alongside mine can have it.  No problem.

Just say you want it listed in the comments on this page -- and leave a link as well, of course.  (I’ll be inclined to use your Disqus username when you make a mention, so if you want something else when I plug in “____________’s Blog”, then say so.)  Or maybe you just have one dazzling post that you wouldn’t mind sharing with others.  That’s fine, too.  I can swing that.  The option will always be there, so just leave a comment whenever you’ve got something ready and I’ll gladly put it on the subreddit.

Fair warning, though: if I read something of yours that I think is absolutely vital or amazing, then I reserve the right to post it (within reason, of course).  Let’s not hoard our treasure, all right?


As the Eternal Optimist, I’m of the opinion that the internet isn’t quite as full of drooling keyboard-punchers as others would assume.  I’m not just saying that because of naiveté; I’m saying that because I have firsthand accounts of the talent, smarts, and clarity of thought that those who take their work seriously tend to show off.  And I want to do what I can to reward that effort.  Am I in this just to further my goals?  Yes, undoubtedly.  But I’ve made it this far because I’ve gotten support from others.  I’m going to keep pining for that support -- and in turn, I want to offer it to others.

I keep saying that in order for our lot in the games industry to change, we gamers have to be willing to change ourselves first -- up to and including the way we think.  I believe that.  But it goes beyond just games; it’s a philosophy that likely holds true in a lot of arenas.  So I’m going to change myself as well.  I’m not going to let things get stale, or grind to a halt.  I’m going to do everything I can to offer up something to the masses -- a bold opinion, a quick laugh, a fresh thought, or just the simplest thing anyone could want.

Something that can put a smile on their face.


And that’s about where I stand.  I think I’ve laid out just about everything I can, so what happens next is up to you.  If you want in, I’ll let you in.  If you want to speak out, then speak out.  If you want to sit back and watch, then sit back and watch.  Just remember one thing: I’m ready to push forward.  And if I have my way, then Cross-Up is going to be bigger and better than ever.  The way it should be.

And that’ll do it for now.  See you guys…after I post this song from Ultra Street Fighter 4.


I can’t believe how freaking addictive this song is!  It’s not even fair!

Okay, NOW the next post goes back to whining about Watch Dogs.  I mean, I’ve only touched the game a couple of times, and those few sessions were enough to give me several posts’ worth of material.  What does that tell you about the actual game?

Here’s a hint: it’s dumb and I don’t very much care for it.  

2 comments:

  1. Ah, reddit.


    ...Let's just say that I attempted to post the game I'm working on to reddit once before and have no intention of trying again anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. Sorry to hear that. I've heard that Reddit can be a useful tool, but I'll admit I'm a little wary about the trouble it could attract. I've already gotten some flak, and I'm guessing that anyone with a different opinion/has something to share is going to have to bring several top-of-the-line bulletproof vests when they venture in.


    Or maybe I can do the smart thing and not have an opinion at all! No, just kidding. I at least owe it to myself to give Reddit a shot. If it works, it works. If it doesn't...well, I think I'll just slip out without anyone noticing. Like a ghost, or an inordinately-thin contortionist.

    ReplyDelete